Atys jeffreysi (Weinkauff, 1866)
Atys jeffreysi @ Gnejna Bay, Mgarr, Malta by Constantino MifsudTaxonomy
Class: Gastropoda Cuvier, 1797
Subclass: Heterobranchia J.E. Gray, 1840
Clade: Euthyneura Spengel, 1881
Clade: Euopisthobranchia Jörger et al., 2010
Clade: Cephalaspidea P. Fischer, 1883
Superfamily: Haminoeoidea Pilsbry, 1895
Family: Haminoeidae Pilsbry, 1895
Genus: Atys de Montfort, 1810
Species: Atys jeffreysi (Weinkauff, 1866) [Cylichna]
- Bulla blainvilliana Récluz, 1843
- Bulla ovulata Brocchi, 1814 sensu Jeffreys, 1856 (misidentification)
- Cylichna jeffreysi Weinkauff, 1866
- Atys. God of the Phrygians, companion of Cybele.
- Jeffreysi. In honor to John Gwyn Jeffreys, (1809-1885), solicitor from Swansea, who got interested in conchology already when young. By conchology Jeffreys meant not only shell collecting, but the total science about molluscs. He began to organize dredging expeditions, visiting the Shetlands, W. Scotland, Channel Islands, Norway etc. and accompanied by chosen specialists. He took part in some longer expeditions to W. Greenland and the Bay of Biscay and visited collecting colleagues in foreign countries. He could not come to terms with Darwinism, because, according to his view, it implied that no borders between species were to be found. “British Conchology” in 5 volumes 1862-69 is his main work. His very extensive shell collection was purchased for the Smithsonian Institution 1883 by W.H. Dall.
|: OBIS||: OPK|
|: GROC 2010-2011||: VIMAR|
|: Enric Madrenas||: Manuel Ballesteros.|
|: João Pedro Silva||: M@re Nostrum|
|: Bernard Picton||: Other sources|
|: GBIF.ORG||: Marine Regions|
References for the species: Atys jeffreysi
Gibraltar: Aartsen, Menkhorst and Gittenberger (1984). Andalucía (Med.): Peñas et al. (in press). Levante: Marín and Ros (1987). Catalunya: Altimira (1977b), Altaba & Traveset (1985), Tarruella (2002). Baleares: Nordsieck (1972), Gasull and Cuerda (1974), Altaba and Traveset (1985). Canarias: Ortea et al. (2001), Moro et al. (2003). Madeira: Nobre (1889, 1937, as Roxaniella jef freysi), Watson (1897), Nordsieck and García-Talavera (1979, as A. (Roxaniella) jeffreysi).
Sources: Cervera et al., 2004, Ballesteros, 2007, McDonald, 2006 and other sources.
This chart displays the observation probability for Atys jeffreysi
based on our own records.
We have no (more) pictures for Atys jeffreysi
Bibliography based on the works by Steve Long, 2006. Bibliography of Opisthobranchia 1554-2000 and Gary McDonald, 2009. Bibliographia Nudibranchia, with later updates from other resources.
1246567 Atys jeffreysi items 1 entomological-society-of-america author asc 1