Okenia cf. zoobotryon (Smallwood, 1910)
Okenia zoobotryon (Smallwood, 1910)
|Classification according to Bouchet et al. (2017)|
Taxonomic source: World Register of Marine Species (AphiaID: 181223).
- Bermudella zoobotryon (Smallwood, 1910)
- Polycerella zoobotryon Smallwood, 1910 (original)
- Okenia. Dedicated to Prof. Dr. Ludwig Gilbert Lorenz Oken, (1779-1851), German natural philosopher, who was editor of the natural history journal “Isis” and published the well-known “Lehrbuch der Naturgeschichte” (Natural History Textbook). It’s nomenclature is not binominal, so the names in volume 3 (the zoology part) are unavailable for nomenclatural use.
- Zoobotryon. A genus of colonial bryozoan with a bush-like structure, on which apparently this Okenia feeds.
Pola (2015) redescribes Okenia zoobotryon and also proposes a neotype for it. This author commented us that this species has a strictly Caribbean distribution (Bermuda island, its type locality, and Cuba) and that citations of this species around the world may correspond to a complex of cryptic species with a very similar morphology that must be molecularly analyzed. This includes specimens found in the Mare Piccolo (Salento, Italy) and the Costa Brava (Catalonia, Spain).
| : OBIS|
: GROC 2010-2011
: Enric Madrenas
: João Pedro Silva
: Bernard Picton
| : OPK|
: Manuel Ballesteros.
: M@re Nostrum
: Altres fonts
: Marine Regions
- We have no (more) pictures for Okenia zoobotryon
Cite this article as: