Limacina lesueurii (d’Orbigny, 1835)
Limacina lesueurii by Russell Hopcroft UAF-NOAA-CoML
reproduced with permission (www.cmarz.org)
Class: Gastropoda Cuvier, 1797
Subclass: Heterobranchia J.E. Gray, 1840
Clade: Euthyneura Spengel, 1881
Clade: Euopisthobranchia Jörger et al., 2010
Clade: Thecosomata de Blainville, 1823
Suborder: Euthecosomata Meisenheimer, 1905
Superfamily: Limacinoidea Gray, 1840
Family: Limacinidae Gray, 1840
Genus: Limacina Bosc, 1817
Species: Limacina lesueurii (d’Orbigny, 1835)
- Atlanta lesueurii d’Orbigny, 1835 (original)
- Limacina crossei Pelseneer, 1888
- Spirialis ventricosa Eydoux & Souleyet, 1840
- Limacina, diminutive of limacia, from Latin “limax”, slimy, viscous.
- Lesueurii, dedicated to Charles-Alexandre Lesueur (1778-1846), he took part of Captain Nicolas Baudin’s French expedition to Australia in 1800-1804 as cannon assistant but was appointed artist after the first stop at Mauritius. Gradually, he became regarded as a zoologist. Painter traveler, scholar of many talents, Lesueur left at the Muséum d’Histoire Naturelle du Havre (which he collaborated to found) over 4500 drawings which depict the world he saw and studied. Landscapes, portraits, animals, fossils and minerals from Australia, the United States and France.
| : OBIS|
: GROC 2010-2011
: Enric Madrenas
: João Pedro Silva
: Bernard Picton
| : OPK|
: Manuel Ballesteros.
: M@re Nostrum
: Altres fonts
: Marine Regions
References for the species: Limacina lesueurii
- Cantabria: Nordsieck (1972) as Spiratella.
Andalucía (Med.): Rampal (1963, 1968) as Spiratella, Peñas et al. (in press) as Spiratella.
Canarias: Lozano-Soldevilla and Hernández (1991), Hernández and Jiménez (1993), Ortea et al. (2001), Moro et al. (2003).
Sources: Cervera et al., 2004, Ballesteros, 2007 & 2016, McDonald, 2006 and other sources.
- We have no (more) pictures for Limacina lesueurii
Cite this article as: